Saturday, August 20, 2011

Birthday Cake










We celebrated my niece's 8th birthday today. If you follow my blog regularly, you may remember me talking about her birthday plans. She is the special young lady that asked for guests to donate to charities that help animals around the world instead of giving her gifts.


My sister-in-law asked me to make the cake for the party and it was to be a surprise for Aubri. It has been so long since I decorated cakes that I think I am out of practice. This was also my first time using fondant. My husband helped by cutting out all of the zebra stripes so I could put them on the cake. My 17 year old son cut out all of the giraffe spots and put them on that part of the cake himself. I think we made a great team! My other son helped by eating the leftover frosting!


I had extra cake batter so I made cupcakes too. The kids loved the animals on top of the cupcakes.


Now my nephew wants me to make him a cake for his birthday. He is planning on having a Monster Truck party and I already have lots of ideas!





3 comments:

June Houck said...

Your fondant cake looks fabulous! What a special little niece to want to donate to charities over receiving gifts.

Dragonlady said...

Wow what a fantastic cake Julie, love all the detail.

Hugs Ali x

Regan said...

Julie, this is amazing! I wish I had talent like that (or that you lived closer! lol) I need a Mack the Truck cake from the Disney/Pixar movie for my small man's 2nd birthday next month! :) Your cake is gorgeous and it looks like your niece loved it! How sweet and thoughtful of her to donate to the animals instead of getting gifts! That's a special little girl who will grow up to do great things! You must be so proud to be her auntie!
{hugs}
Regan